Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Transition into Adulthood

Well, it looks like it is advice time again!

A new year marks new beginnings.You're getting older with each passing day and I want to give some more words of wisdom. I know driving is probably in your mind now. I know I went right after my birthday! My dad had me drive his manual truck and I failed the driving test because I stalled the truck while parallel parking. I passed the next time. I am not a fan of driving larger vehicles.

It's good to get a small part time job. Learn to manage your finances, deal with people in a fair and respectable manner, be on time, and to save for financial independence. It is always always always a good idea to save up enough money to have a buffer for an emergency. This amount will change over time, but for now it should probably be enough for gas and car insurance for 2 months. No job is "beneath" you. They all teach lessons whether it's a bagger or a cashier or scrubbing toilets. You have to do step 1 before 2,3,and 4. First impressions stick. Attitude is important.

I enjoyed working in the printing field. It had computer mixed with some graphic design. It had customer service and working with various machines that I could run and fix when they jammed. It was a challenge mentally and fun and I learned so many more skills that I was able to carry forward into future jobs. If you do go the construction route, just be careful...it can really mess up your body over time. I wouldn't advise that route if you can help it (or only do it on the side). It is better to do something with brains versus brawn. Granted...it is good to learn how to do basic repair and building if you're male or female. I mean come on....to not know what a Philip's screwdriver is is kinda bad lol. It is good to have a general knowledge on a broad range of subjects. You don't have to master them all.

Driving is a privilege, not a right. I tend to have a heavy foot (not always on purpose), but if I do get caught, it is my own fault and I have no one to blame but myself. Driving is a "tool". Honestly it is much better to get to work by car than by foot/bike.

An old car/truck is the best bet for your first car. If you damage it, it isn't the end of the world. Insurance is cheaper, taxes are cheaper, and over time the value can go up. A V6 Chevy Camaro from the 80's would probably be a good choice or an older truck that maybe you can work on? Plus buying parts to replace aren't too expensive either. You can get manuals to help teach you how to fix the car. Haynes is a good choice.

Of course you will make mistakes. You don't have to be perfect. What matters is that you tried your best. Just get back up and try again. Life does suck sometimes, but it comes in waves with high points and lows. If it's raining...just wait...eventually it does get better!

I love you.... Good luck with milestones!

Love,
Mom    


No comments:

Post a Comment